It has been the sunniest Spring on record for the UK and all the home nations and the driest May on record in England.
Spring 2020 headlines
- 626 hours of bright sunshine were recorded in Spring 2020 for the UK and have exceeded the previous high (555 hours, set in 1948) by over 70 hours. Spring 2020 also exceeds the sunshine amount for most summer seasons, with only three summers being sunnier (1976, 1995, and 1989).
- The figure for England is even higher. Spring 2020 recorded 696 hours of sunshine, exceeding the previous record set of 594.3 hours
- All UK countries have recorded their sunniest spring on record in series stretching back to 1929
- It has been the eighth warmest spring on record for the UK, with both England and Wales having their fifth warmest spring on record
- It has been the fifth driest spring for the UK overall, but some counties in north east England and eastern Scotland have recorded their driest spring in a rainfall series from 1862.